Northwest Harvest is a local nonprofit food bank distributor that provides more than 2 million nutritious meals each month to help fight to eliminate hunger. We will be joining the Princeton and Penn clubs for a two-hour volunteer event on June 4th. Friends and family (over the age of 9) are welcome!
Our previous packing events have helped to distribute over 2494 lbs of carrots, 3200 lbs of spaghetti, and 11,200 lbs of cabbage to our community!
What: Join fellow Lions (Columbia), Tigers (Princeton) and Quakers (Penn) at Northwest Harvest while you sort and repackage bulk food into family-sized portions for distribution to food banks and food programs
(Note: parking is free and available but limited; carpooling preferred!)
To sign up: Email the Princeton Club firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday, May 28th with your name and school and they will confirm your spot. Please note that we work with Northwest Harvest to provide an accurate headcount so that they can plan appropriately, so don’t delay— RSVP today!
What will I be doing?
- We will be sorting through large amounts of food and repackaging into smaller boxes.
- Tasks include sorting/repackaging (may include lifting boxes generally under 25 lbs), putting together boxes, weighing food.
Why is this opportunity lots of fun?
- You get to give back to the community.
- You get to hang out with other Princeton, Penn and Columbia alumni, and break out that orange attire that you thought you’d have to put away after Halloween.
- Learn about what's edible vs. what you see in the grocery stores-- it'll surprise you!
- No need to go to the gym or Crossfit afterward-- there's tasks that could give you a pretty decent workout!
- Revel in the satisfaction of knowing that within just a couple of hours, you'll have helped pack tons (literally) of food to distribute to our community.
This sounds great. Can I bring along my spouse/parent/child/friend to help volunteer as well?
- Of course, as long as they are 9 years (3rd grade) and older. Just let us know when you sign up!
- Additionally, Northwest Harvest will do everything possible to enable volunteers with special needs to participate. Please let us know and we can help you coordinate with Northwest Harvest.
Anything else I should know?
- You must arrive on time and stay for the entire shift (12pm-2pm; arrive by 11:50 am for orientation).
- Closed-toed shoes are required.
- Shoulders and midriffs must be completely covered. Tank tops are not permitted.
- Space is limited to 35.
- If your employer participates, you can also get your hours matched for donation to Northwest Harvest. See http://www.northwestharvest.org/hours-matching for more information.
How can I learn more about Northwest Harvest?
- The mission of Northwest Harvest is to provide nutritious food to hungry people statewide in a manner that respects their dignity, while fighting to eliminate hunger. Our vision is ample nutritious food is available to everyone in Washington State.
- To learn more, visit http://www.northwestharvest.org